![]() |
| Hiking Mt. Jebel with the children from CCC - Twitter R. Musser |
Beauty, Self-worth, Identity—Concepts I have heard so often
preached in routine motivational speeches that I could recite them in my sleep.
Throw in a solid reference to being “fearfully and wonderfully made” and a
body-to-temple comparison and you have a pre-teen girls best-seller in the
making.
It is no surprise to me that our fiercely independent and
identity driven culture sparks a desire in each of us to see who we are clearly,
but perhaps I still got confused along the way. Perhaps I wasn’t looking closely
enough in the mirror…
Boys, I’m warning you now: you are about to witness the
emotional state of a girl after getting a haircut (while she simultaneously
attempts to grow out bangs). Which I have since determined is entirely normal.
Ladies, back me up here.
We all make our fair share of mistakes in life. One of mine
just so happens to be attempting to cut my own hair in a third world country
with no access to a hair stylist. I know
your curiosity is beginning to creep in at this point, so rather than stalking
my Facebook, just go ahead and scroll down for a picture—I’ll wait. After
staring in frustration at my bangs for nearly a half hour attempting to force
their growth with my mind (I’ve discussed ‘the force’ with my youngest brother
one too many times), and developing unrealistic expectations by looking up
demonstrations on Pinterest, I grabbed my scissors. After all, it’s just hair…Four
hours later I stood next to the sink in tears.
I am so embarrassed to admit that. Honestly. Hair is such a
petty thing to cry over. I convince myself it must be a biological reaction
rather than admit this newly discovered weakness in my character. Surely, there
is a scientific link between hair and tears that requires both to be shed at
the same time.
Regrettably, there is not.
How can I see suffering around me every day and then cry
about this? Am I really that shallow? Or is there something deeper going on in
my heart?
I recently finished a book by Donald Miller called, Blue like Jazz. In the very last chapter
he admits how uncomfortable he has always felt with the idea of receiving love,
or even loving himself. I find myself struggling with the same thing. I always
blamed my distaste of any “God wants you to love yourself” sermon on phony,
feel-good theology. It feels wrong to love myself; it goes against humility, allows
me to believe I have the ability to assign myself worth, and refuses to acknowledge
all my flaws. Miller reconciles this
discomfort with a fresh perspective on the golden rule: we are to love our
neighbors as ourselves. When I search the mirror in the morning, scoffing at
all my flaws internally and externally, what kind of bar am I setting for how I
will love those around me? The truth is…I would never treat another human being
the way I treat myself. I would never put them under the same scrutiny and
shame that I put myself through. Though I still firmly believe I am not capable
of assigning myself worth, that only God can, I need to see that this means I
cannot assign myself value good or bad. I spend so much time asking God to help
me see the world as he sees it, to love people as he does, and yet I can never seem
to open my eyes enough to see myself through His eyes.
I stood there that night crying over my hair with a sea of
other self-degrading thoughts. More often than not, us girls are one bad
haircut away from admitting how little beauty we see in ourselves. And though
this message mainly tailors towards women, I have no doubt guys struggle with
self-confidence in their own ways.
Sometimes as believers we tend to over-emphasize one half
of the gospel. My discomfort in allowing others to love on me, I’m realizing,
is closely tied to this. I don’t view myself as having worth because I truly
believe I am unworthy and undeserving of grace, as many references in scripture
would support. Yet, I am missing the other half of the story.
Despite the fact that I am unworthy, the Lord gives me worth
anyways.
Despite the fact that I am a sinner, the Lord makes me clean.
Despite the ways I see myself, the Lord claims me as His beautiful
masterpiece.
So, all that being said, please take some time to check out
these pictures below of some ways I see beauty in South Sudan. I realize this
post was not much of an update on the situation here, and with a few things
unraveling here I anticipate posting another brief update in the near future
for prayer needs. I will be traveling to Egypt on Friday for some time off
after working for 10 weeks (perks of being a relief worker), and I hope to take
lots of pictures then, too! In the meantime, I will be taking suggestions on
the best place to donate an extra pair of scissors I just happen to have lying
around ;) ma'a salama.
| Jokes on you! It's staying in a bun 24/7. But for real it's not that bad. You can creep my FB if you really want to see. |
![]() |
| Colorful Umbrellas in Konyo Konyo |
![]() |
| Brian at CCC learning to stand - CCC Facebook Page |
![]() |
| Our amazing SP staff here in South Sudan |
![]() |
| Next stop: Dahab, Egypt. |


.jpeg)
.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment